Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New SRAM Rival etap
I've always been firmly in favour of a basic approach to cycling; nothing fancy for me, no exotic materials, very little on my bikes that doesn't absolutely have to be there, and especially, no electric gears.

So why please, am I strangely attracted to SRAM's etap now it's available for an almost reasonable price?
(04-21-2021, 04:33 PM)mike the bike Wrote: I've always been firmly in favour of a basic approach to cycling; nothing fancy for me, no exotic materials, very little on my bikes that doesn't absolutely have to be there, and especially, no electric gears.

So why please, am I strangely attracted to SRAM's etap now it's available for an almost reasonable price?
Because it's all over the cycling press/online etc Wink

I have Di2 and love it.I can never see me going back to cable gears.SRAM e-Tap will be my first upgrade of the Lynskey and the Di2 will be relegated to the Winter/CX bike Cool

The beauty of SRAM is as well as being wireless each unit has interchangable batteries so in the (unlikely) event one fails/runs flat you can swap it to get you home.So if your rear fails you can select whichever front ring you want then swap batteries so you'll still have the full range of rear gears.Di2 has one battery for everything so if it's flat you're stuck in whatever gear it's in.

IIRC Shimano have a fully wireless system due soon.
You've nearly cured me JR. All that talk of switching batteries and making decisions about ratios has pretty much left me longing for the simple life again. I can only hope your remedy is completely effective soon, before I retrieve my plastic from its secret hiding place under the wardrobe where nobody would ever think to look.

For other cable-minded riders I should add that the new(ish) 105 is the sweetest, smoothest gear change I've ever used. No more Ultegra for me, it's not worth the extra.