Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gone smart
Looks like no club cycling for a bit and solo cycling in this weather is crap so (given I hate rollers/turbos) I thought I'd try a smart trainer. Seems like everyone else has, and there's virtually no stock, but I got an Elite from Wiggle for £669.

I'm not interested in racing, and BKool.com looks like a good platform with good graphics, so I'll try it first.
(01-05-2021, 10:15 AM)OETKB-YENTC Wrote: Looks like no club cycling for a bit and solo cycling in this weather is crap so (given I hate rollers/turbos) I thought I'd try a smart trainer. Seems like everyone else has, and there's virtually no stock, but I got an Elite from Wiggle for £669.

I'm not interested in racing, and BKool.com looks like a good platform with good graphics, so I'll try it first.
BKool,
RoadGrandTours(RGT)
Rouvey
BigRingVR

All alternatives to Zwift if you're not a fan of the gamey look.Any of the training platforms make it less of a chore.

Not to be a pessimist but I fear at least the first half of 2021 is going to be a write off in terms of Club cycling/organised events etc.Even cycling with a mate is off limits until at least March Angry
All of those have good/real landscapes - much better than zwift. The free trials should keep me going for a bit then I'll choose one.
My daughter is going back to her Uni accommodation Thursday so I can finally have my training room back Cool
Not been on the indoor bike for almost 3 weeks Angry
Typical Angry
Finally got my little training room back and I've twisted my knee Angry Angry  Been on a Cab-crane refresher course at work and my foot slipped off an icy steel ladder rung getting into the crane Blush I don't know if this cold spell is making it feel worse.I might try a steady spin today or tomorrow.
(01-05-2021, 11:34 AM)100%JR Wrote:
(01-05-2021, 10:15 AM)OETKB-YENTC Wrote: Looks like no club cycling for a bit and solo cycling in this weather is crap so (given I hate rollers/turbos) I thought I'd try a smart trainer. Seems like everyone else has, and there's virtually no stock, but I got an Elite from Wiggle for £669.

BKool,
RoadGrandTours(RGT)
Rouvey
BigRingVR

All alternatives to Zwift if you're not a fan of the gamey look.Any of the training platforms make it less of a chore.

Not to be a pessimist but I fear at least the first half of 2021 is going to be a write off in terms of Club cycling/organised events etc.Even cycling with a mate is off limits until at least March Angry
Can we not meet one other person for exercise?  That was my interpretation of the rather confusing and ever expanding advice.
I think we can, yes.
(01-09-2021, 04:25 PM)mike the bike Wrote:
(01-05-2021, 11:34 AM)100%JR Wrote:

BKool,
RoadGrandTours(RGT)
Rouvey
BigRingVR

Can we not meet one other person for exercise?  That was my interpretation of the rather confusing and ever expanding advice.
Straight from British Cycling.Update advice as of 04/04/21:-

Quote:You should only ride alone, with your household/support bubble or one other person.
Clear as mud then Huh
I managed two rides from here to Dunford Bridge on the CX over the weekend.It's just under 30 miles with about 6 on Tarmac the rest on the Trans-Pennine Trail.Cold,icy,slushy,muddy,wet,gloomy,misty and yet very busy,especially around Penistone!
My knee felt OK but I think I'll stick to indoor for a bit Big Grin