Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The March of Progress, indeed.
Never thought in a million years I would be telling you this, but it's true.  I have taken the final step towards embracing the future.  After half-a-century of stopping at every junction and waving a paper map in the wind, I have bought myself an electric GPS thingie.  
It's very neat and attaches itself to my stem using elastic bands.  It even runs off its own battery so I don't need to trail a really long mains cable behind me; what will they think of next.  Switching it on is a doddle, switching it off less so 'cause it bleeps furiously at me, probably in amusement.  The screen may be small but boy, is it colourful and I may need some darker specs if I have to keep looking at it.  They don't warn you of that extra expense.
It says it can automatically link itself to my Apple although I've seen no signs of this so far, but I am a patient man and guess it needs a rest after its journey from China.
Anyway, there are 22 pages of instructions, some of them in English, to wade through before I become a true master of the universe, so I'll pour myself a Sunday evening G&T and settle down in a quiet corner.  Expect an update sometime in the next twelve months to announce I have got it to work.
Garmin or wahoo?
(07-26-2020, 06:23 PM)OETKB-YENTC Wrote: Garmin or wahoo?
I left Garmin for Wahoo 3 years ago.
I did however buy a Garmin Forerunner 45 last Wednesday to replace a crappy Applewatch....the day after I bought it Garmins entire network went down Rolleyes Dodgy
I have tested it and uploaded the "old fashioned way" Cool

Maybe it's Garmin punishing me for defecting...... Huh
I got my Garmin 810 about the time Wahoo was getting popular but I hadn't heard of them. No complaints except the screen is a bit small for my old eyes on the map view Smile
(07-27-2020, 08:13 AM)OETKB-YENTC Wrote: I got my Garmin 810 about the time Wahoo was getting popular but I hadn't heard of them. No complaints except the screen is a bit small for my old eyes on the map view Smile
I had an 800.Good,solid unit.
I bought and Edge 820 and after three replacements and over 12 months of bugs,crashes and generally unreliability I finally gave up on Garmin.
If you browse the Garmin user Forum it quickly becomes apparent that Garmin have a habit of releasing stuff that isn't quite ready and then release fixes/patches until sorted.Using customers as testers seems to be their remit lately!

That said once they do sort out initial bugs there tend to be brilliant units!
(07-26-2020, 06:23 PM)OETKB-YENTC Wrote: Garmin or wahoo?

Neither I'm afraid.  Having no business with Bluetooth, cadence, heart rates, calories, Strava and all that nonsense I plumped for the Mio, which is as simple as it gets (but could easily turn out to be too complicated for me.)  I usually go on an annual tour, sometimes in France, and enter a couple of long randonnees every summer; the Mio should suit me well.
Being the cautious type I read all the reviews I could find before uploading my card number and they were pretty favourable.  
Time will tell if it gets regular use or ends up at the back of the kitchen drawer.
Let us know how you get on.
I basically use my Wahoo to track distance/cadence/climbing etc.I have tried out the navigation but don't actually use it.
We are polar opposites in this regard JR. I intend to use mine for navigation only, having grown tired of folding wet maps into a case which is always, always half-an-inch too small.

The Mio is so easy to operate I actually got it working and talking to my computer within an hour. And this despite a rather sketchy instruction manual written by a village idiot with a severe personality disorder. I was surprised, my lady was surprised, even the bloody dog was surprised. Smart-ass spaniel.
But work it did and I've taken it on three early-morning rides this week, just to try it out. As a navigator it's spot on, quick to react to my movements and with plenty of detail on the screen. There are several settings to play with, you can choose to use or avoid main roads for example, and I'm working my way through them. So far so good, with no nasty glitches.

Rarely, for a GPS unit, you don't need a smartphone to set it up, which is handy 'cause I don't have one. It synchronises with my laptop and planning routes is a doddle on the big screen. If I had to be picky at this early stage I'd say the maps are not as beautiful as the OS paper variety, which are a joy to behold and have afforded me countless hours of pleasure over many winters' evenings. But the sheer convenience out on the road will more than make up for it, I'm sure.

Stay tuned for further developments in the transformation of your basic cyclist into a man who knows stuff.
There are units out there that use OS mapping right down to 1:25,000 but the trouble is battery life.The hand held walking units like Satmap,MemoryMap are larger so have a bigger battery.I never believe the manufacturers claims on battery life.
My old Garmin 820 claimed "upto 16hrs" in reality it was half that and less if using mapping!
From reading other Forums those who use the units for multi-day tours take an external powerbank to recharge their units.These are quite cheap and will hold 3-4 charges.
The Wahoo Bolt navigation is basic but has turn by turn so it idiot proof."In 100m turn right onto high Street" etc.
Powerbanks? Good grief JR, at my age and in my world of touring I'll just plug it in when I find a B&B.