Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Titanium V Carbon
I have covered roughly 150 miles on my Ti Lynskey so I thought I'd give my take on the Ti-v-CF.

After a few niggles I have just about got the Lynskey right.I'm still waiting on the Shimano brake Hoses but the brakes work OK and have nothing to do with the ride comparison.
So how does it feel?
From the off there is a difference.The ride feels instantly less harsh.It just feels comfortable.I felt no extra flex or loss in stiffness when out of the saddle climbing etc but it just felt "softer" and more forgiving all round.The Brooks saddle feels like no other saddle I've used despite it not being a "traditional" Leather Brookes.It's still quite wide compared to other Road saddles.I'm not 100% sure I like it yet.I need to give it a few hundred more miles before I decide.It's certainly comfortable but the jury is out for now.The Carbon integrated bars/stem feel OK as do the Carbon wheels.

So...is it better?
I'll have to say no for now.it's different yes but not better.The combination of Ti frame/carbon fork/wheels/bars/post and the fact it's all new could have an effect but as of now it's not the "OMG I should have switched to Ti years ago" light bulb moment Ti enthusiasts have you believe Rolleyes 

I'll add to this when I've done a few months and a few hundred more Miles on the bike.I'll also ride the Canyon again once I've got 4 or 500 miles in on the Lynskey.

As a side note I will say this:-
Di2...it is just brilliant.So easy to set up.So easy to adjust.I am currently waiting on the next generation battery so I can try out the Syncro-shift.After what I've spent I might as well have the full Di2 experience CoolI can say,with confidence,that if I ever get another Carbon bike it will definitely have Di2.I will be upgrading the Canyon to Di2 regardless!

[Image: 50121934268_c79a9368a2_z.jpg]
'The ride feels instantly less harsh.It just feels comfortable'

That was exactly my first impression, and it hasn't changed maybe 9 yrs later!
(07-20-2020, 05:23 PM)OETKB-YENTC Wrote: 'The ride feels instantly less harsh.It just feels comfortable'

That was exactly my first impression, and it hasn't changed maybe 9 yrs later!
That’s good to hear!
Don't forget the most important factor JR, it just looks better than any carbon bike you've ever seen. And, by association, you will appear as a god amongst men, a finely honed cycling machine and a babe magnet par excellence.

( Rumours that I am completely unimpressed by carbon as a material for bicycles are exaggerated.)
(07-21-2020, 04:53 PM)mike the bike Wrote: Don't forget the most important factor JR, it just looks better than any carbon bike you've ever seen.  And, by association, you will appear as a god amongst men, a finely honed cycling machine and a babe magnet par excellence.

( Rumours that I am completely unimpressed by carbon as a material for bicycles are exaggerated.)
Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Tongue

To be fair there are some truly beautiful Carbon bikes out there.
I do however like to see nice welding on Allu/steel/Ti frames Cool
I wasn't 100% sold on the Diamond shaped tubing used on this but it's growing on me Cool
Take it from another Lynskey rider, you stop noticing the diamond shaping of the top tube after a while.
(07-25-2020, 10:55 AM)Colin the Giant Killer Wrote: Take it from another Lynskey rider, you stop noticing the diamond shaping of the top tube after a while.
It is growing on me Cool

A work colleague was trying to persuade me to go for the Helix-Pro but I thought the twisted tubing was a step too far......now I'm not sure Confused
I absolutely love this bike.Love it Cool

The unsung hero of this is the Brooks Cambium saddle Cool I was chatting to a rider at a local cafe yesterday and he asked how I liked the Brooks.Until that point I'd not really thought about it!!200+ miles and I'd not given the saddle a thought.That tells me it's a good saddle Idea 

I can't see the Canyon getting much use now........
I have a black C17 up for grabs if you want to retro-fit it to the Canyon.
I just couldn't get on with it.
(08-04-2020, 11:17 AM)Colin the Giant Killer Wrote: I have a black C17 up for grabs if you want to retro-fit it to the Canyon.
I just couldn't get on with it.
The Canyon is now my son's bike and he won't want an "old fashioned" saddle Huh

My new riding buddy is mulling over one though.How much do you want for it?

I have now installed the latest generation battery and have the bike is set up in Full Syncro-shift mode...test ride tomorrow Cool