Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My lovely new baby .....

.jpeg   50019B74-C5E7-473D-8DE2-B85E025F6394.jpeg (Size: 161.08 KB / Downloads: 11)

Well, it’s been fifteen days and 250 miles since I finished building my new ‘every day’ bike and lockdown gives me time to gather my thoughts.  As the photo shows, it’s a subtle paint job on the Ribble CGR; ideal for locking to lamp posts during a shopping trip without attracting too much attention.  I like the copper highlights although my lady looks down her lovely nose and pronounces them unnecessary.
The frame is typical Reynolds 725, light enough for steel but solid enough to cancel out vibrations and noise.  It’s 95% pretty, only the rear left drop-out disappoints, it’s made from girders where it curves around the brake calliper.

.jpeg   4BDA7980-2CE4-45E8-B7A8-7BFD9BDE19C7.jpeg (Size: 169.24 KB / Downloads: 5)

Shimano’s latest 105 groupset has been a revelation.  The hydraulic discs reach new standards of fuss-free and silent stopping.  The gears too are superb with short, effortless lever throws resulting in smooth changes every time, up or down the range.  Mind you, after fifty years of fiddling with front derailleurs I needed a YouTube video to tackle this one.  It is the most complicated I’ve ever seen and I was a bit apprehensive until I realised it provided sublime shifts across the chain-set.  My other bike has Ultegra, not yet three years old, and, apart from a little excess weight, this is better in every department.  Really.

Hunt’s 4-Season wheels are from the lower end of their range but are impressively light and stiff, with a quietly clacky rear hub.  They are mated with Hutchinson tubeless tyres, my first tentative steps towards quitting tubes, and I’m glad I took the plunge.  After an initial dry run - without sealant - they inflated using only a track pump and have proved to be incident free so far.  At about 75psi they are comfortable and have resisted all pointy intruders.  When I squeeze them between finger and thumb they seem to be keeping their pressures without the need for top-ups.  Long may it continue.

.jpeg   4E7341FD-DF33-4F7B-AE03-FE77B57FD524.jpeg (Size: 161.84 KB / Downloads: 6)

Bits and pieces include a Fabric Scoop saddle which continues the tradition of its big brother, the Spoon, and is very comfortable, at least for the four hour maximum I’ve managed during this time of isolation.

Apart from my favourite Lizard Skins bar tape the cockpit is all Wiggle’s own brand, Prime, and integrates nicely without breaking the bank.  

SJS Cycles were a fount of knowledge and support during the build, supplying several hard-to-find items at short notice.  I have no connection with them except as a customer but I always reckon they will find what you need in their vast store of odds and sods. 
And now to the subject of money.  ’Tis true I could have bought the Ribble with 105 direct from the company and saved a couple of hundred quid.  But my extra spending has given me the wheels, tyres and finishing kit I wanted and has lifted the machine above the ordinary.  And, no small thing this, it has given me hours of enjoyment as I puzzled my way through the assembly of a couple of hundred individual pieces.  I try always to have a steel bike in the garage, it’s a hangover from my youth, and I look forward to years of happy riding with this one.

Well, not quite sure why my photos are hidden but this is what happens when you give a simple job to an illiterate!
Nice!
Sorry if my PM was a bit vague.Your images need to be on a publicly accessible host.Your images need a https:// address.

I've uploaded your photo to my Flickr account and:-
50019B74-C5E7-473D-8DE2-B85E025F6394.jpeg

becomes:-
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/4990...6753_z.jpg

Wrap in image tags:
[img]insert your photo url here[/img]

Results in:-
[Image: 49908914682_722f656753_z.jpg]

There's a few free online hosting sites for photos.I use Flickr as you get 1tg free storage.
www.flickr.com 

Without the https:// your original link is just that ie a link.
So even wrapping your original link in tags results in:-
[img]50019B74-C5E7-473D-8DE2-B85E025F6394.jpeg[/img]
Aah JR, all becomes clear(er). What a pleasure it is to have the acquaintance of someone who knows what he's doing. But I'm afraid it will probably go in one ear and out the other; I am temperamentally unsuited to things electronic.
Cheers.