UKRC
Finders keepers ... - Printable Version

+- UKRC (https://www.ukrc.club)
+-- Forum: Forums (https://www.ukrc.club/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Tea Stop (https://www.ukrc.club/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Thread: Finders keepers ... (/showthread.php?tid=30)

Pages: 1 2 3

Finders keepers ... - mike the bike - 07-11-2020

O the joy of it, the return of more-or-less normal traffic, bringing with it the resumption of free gifts at the roadside.  It's been a good week for the freebies, yesterday's builders' tape measure was probably eclipsed by this morning's bidon, brand new and complete with half a litre of some sweet smelling glucose concoction.  (I know what you're thinking but no, it really was energy drink.)

Mind you, there is a trade-off for all this good luck and it's having to mix it with the loonies behind the wheel.  Within two miles of my front door this morning I suffered a ridiculous overtake that forced an oncoming driver to brake really hard, followed by a blind gentleman in a pick-up emerging into my path on a roundabout.  At least I got my own back on Stevie Wonder; I took the lane on our exit road and forced him to follow me for three hundred yards at 10 mph.  Revenge is sweet, even sweeter than the energy gloop.

RE: Finders keepers ... - 100%JR - 07-12-2020

(07-11-2020, 03:30 PM)mike the bike Wrote: O the joy of it, the return of more-or-less normal traffic, bringing with it the resumption of free gifts at the roadside.  It's been a good week for the freebies, yesterday's builders' tape measure was probably eclipsed by this morning's bidon, brand new and complete with half a litre of some sweet smelling glucose concoction.  (I know what you're thinking but no, it really was energy drink.)

Mind you, there is a trade-off for all this good luck and it's having to mix it with the loonies behind the wheel.  Within two miles of my front door this morning I suffered a ridiculous overtake that forced an oncoming driver to brake really hard, followed by a blind gentleman in a pick-up emerging into my path on a roundabout.  At least I got my own back on Stevie Wonder; I took the lane on our exit road and forced him to follow me for three hundred yards at 10 mph.  Revenge is sweet, even sweeter than the energy gloop.
You drank it.... Confused

RE: Finders keepers ... - mike the bike - 07-12-2020

No, definitely not, even in my drinking days that would be a no-no. But I did investigate the contents, in case it needed to go in the bin, and it smelt fruity and sugary and vaguely gloopy. Anyway, turns out it's an authentic, genuine Chinese bottle and it now stands on a garage shelf, amongst the other dozen I have collected over the years.

Some I no longer stop for, mostly the badly scratched examples, and aluminium doesn't cut it either, you can't squeeze the damned things to speed up the flow. But every now and again one catches my eye and I can't resist the temptation.

About five years ago I had amassed so many I took a carrier bagful to the start of our local Randonnee. The officials handed them out to the surprising number of riders who turned up without this essential bit of kit. Nothing is wasted in our house.

RE: Finders keepers ... - mike the bike - 07-23-2020

Aah the shame! What a let-down. Here am I boasting about my newly found builders' tape measure when I open an e-mail from Screwfix to see that exact model on offer at £9.99 for two. Not even a fiver a piece. To think I stopped on a hill, dismounted and scrabbled about in the dust for a special offer.

I shall discreetly dispose of this to a more deserving and less scrupulous home.

RE: Finders keepers ... - mike the bike - 09-06-2020

It's so annoying when you think you're clever, as I do, and are proud of your experience, which I am, but you are puzzled by a simple, tuppenny piece of plastic.  Found it this morning while walking the small dog along the cycle track and I know, I just know, it's off a bike and that I've seen one just like it before.  But can I place it?  Can I heck as like.

I've racked my brains over this small, mostly circular lump of black polyethylene with two tiny protrusions but it remains a mystery.  I've tried visualising all the different types of bike I've owned over the last fifty years but to no effect; I'm stumped.  I really wish I had the skills to put a picture up here but such electronic miracles are beyond me, mostly 'cause the daughter has gone off to the New Forest with my camera.

However, there is hope.  Tonight I shall practise the proven technique of falling asleep with the thing in my mind and tomorrow when I wake I shall remember.  Works every time.

RE: Finders keepers ... - OETKB-YENTC - 09-06-2020

Sensor for a puter?

RE: Finders keepers ... - 100%JR - 09-07-2020

(09-06-2020, 04:50 PM)OETKB-YENTC Wrote: Sensor for a puter?
Do people still use those Huh Confused Tongue

RE: Finders keepers ... - OETKB-YENTC - 09-07-2020

Cadence sensor, power meter doodah maybe?

RE: Finders keepers ... - Colin the Giant Killer - 09-08-2020

Battery cover off a gadge?

RE: Finders keepers ... - 100%JR - 09-09-2020

Put us out of our misery!
You've had a couple of nights to sleep on it now!!